Saturday, November 26, 2011

Simple Things, Random Thoughts, and Don't Light a Match for the Love of All the Gods

My dad died 3 years ago, and this is the first Thanksgiving at home since then (his birthday is the 28th). Last year my brother took my 90 year-old mother to NYC for the parade--and her little sister died, so that cut everything short. The year Dad died the CEO of Chesapeake Oil and his wife let us have their Santa Fe complex for the week. This week, we just had about 7 family members--7.5, since I'll be a grandmother again in April--for a traditional supper.

I thought it would be simple. One 15 pound bird, 3 types of stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, pureed parsnips with roasted garlic, carrots, green bean casserole, fresh rolls, fresh cranberry salad, tossed saad with champagne dressing and 4 freakin' pies later...sigh. BUT, I took less than a 1/4 cup serving of any given item, except salad, which was already plated.

Mother and I did the bird, one sressing, the cranberries, and 3 pies. My sister-in-law, brilliant woman that she is, had the caterer do the rest.

My 4 year-old grandson got to jump and bulldoze through the largest leaf pile in Oklahoma City and play on a homemade minature golf course designed and constructed by 9 year old Ivan from NY City who was visiting his grandmother next door. Ivan was so patient with Tag! My brother, "Unca Doug", played too. (Boy, is he ready to be a grandpa!).

As for the mini-challenge

I buy organic when I can. but it is so much simpler to buy Amy's frozen dinners for lunch at school because we have about 25 minutes to eat--if we're lucky. One organic apple a day, usually, or blueberries on my oatbran.  I love fresh corn on the cob with a salad for lunch on weekends. I could eat oven roasted veggies every night (except when I teach a night class, then it's soup).

I am a carboholic. I don't think there's a 12 step program for that.

I have indulged too much in the sweets. It's a good thing I live alone. Toxic fumes emanating from my person have driven the cats out of my room--and I don't blame them; if I didn't have to, I wouldn't sleep with me, either..

1 comment:

  1. I bet your daddy was smiling down on you guys while you and your mom fixed the bird, and then while the entire family enjoyed the end results. And I bet the soon-to-be-born a bundle of joy was giggling too.

    Not about the fumes, of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete