Sunday, February 24, 2013

February: Where Do I Go From Here?

In my last post (last OCTOBER, for cryin' out loud), I noted that I was moving in with mother for 6 weeks. It has become a permanent move. After 3 weeks, I knew that mother really couldn't live alone any more.

I found a wonderful housekeeper that comes every other week. (Bliss).

October 12th, (2 weeks after I had replaced all 4 tires, dammit), on my drive to University, a man ignored a red light at the intersection of state highway 19 and US HWY 81 and removed the front end of my 4 year old Nissan Versa. My car was totaled.


 I broke a fingernail on my left little finger. I got 9K for the remains. I traded in my dad's pickup (9K), added 4K from the insurance settlement, and bought a Honda Civic Hybrid. 0.5% financing!



I was assaulted at school for the second time in two years. A couple of girls thought it would be funny to spike my tea with hand sanitizer. One girl withdrew from school. The other spent 3 days in in-school suspension. I was not happy with the administrative response.

I'm leaving public education. I'm vested in my retirement. Actually, I go to the state department of education next Friday to do the paperwork. I've started bringing things from classroom to my office at university or to the storage shed. My co-teacher is leaving, too. The admin will have to completely replace the freshman science department. We have already purged the first semester intellectual property that we have compiled for the last 10 years. By the end of the year, I want to drop off my keys and walk away.

I need to renew my passport, because I am going to spend the remaining monies from the car accident and go to South Africa for 2 weeks.

I will assist in a week-long summer camp on food science on my return, teach the chemistry and physics section for the remainder of the summer term, and add an interdisciplinary lab to a daytime class on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

On the bright side, my grandson is terrific (with a porcelein skin that girls would rip out their eyes for)


and my granddaughter (professional photo) is pulling up and is pretty terrific, too.









But it is possible that I am biased.


 

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, seems as if you were pretty busy. I wish you a few boring months to recover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is wrong with these girls!? And 3 day suspension? That's it! My goodness, thank goodness for 2 weeks vacations in South Africa. And retirement...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m sorry about what happened, Gaia! You’re fortunate because you’re totally safe. The damage in your car is really big. I’ve seen an accident like that, and the owner's car was also totaled like yours. Unfortunately, he got several injuries, and the worse part of it is that he got brain damage. With the help of his attorney, he got the compensation he needed for his medical expenses. His attorney also helped him settle his claims for his car. Although he got all those things he needed, the trauma that the accident brought to his life cannot be changed or taken back. It will remain as part of his life. We should learn to be careful while on the road. We may not get injured, but it could change someone else’s life. #Cristy Witherspoon

    ReplyDelete